Thursday, September 15, 2011

Brassy to Sassy...:)

Okay Bloggies...:) Today is the day that I FINALLY have a project to share! Woot! Woot!


~Come on...you know you wanna' do it to...just once..."Woot!"...


Okay now that's out of our system...ON to the redo project.

I found a pair of lamps on CL, they were $35 for the pair. They were that lovely brass finish...you know the kind...and the Man thought they were ugly too...*sigh*...the Man has a LOT to learn now doesn't he ladies??? Yes sir! I told him..."I can paint them". To which he replied, "you can't paint brass". I said, "WATCH me!"...haahaa!!! (insert evil laugh here)

So yesterday while he was messing with a friend's motorcycle farings (painting and such), I decided I would break out the spray paint and create some new lamps for my livingroom.

Here's what I started with (please ignore the messy garage in the background):



I know it's not glamorous, but I loved the shape and the ones I have right now are ceramic...with circles cut into them...not exactly "stylish"...but I do have plans for them as well...it involves rope. That's all I'm going to say.


And...here's the first coat of paint. I usually HATE spray paint, but the Man works with it a lot and he's taught me a few things about the in's and out's of spray painting. So I feel a little better about it. THIN coats...thin...coats. Let dry for a little bit...and THIN coats of paint. I did sand it, or rather "scuffed" up the surface with my trusty 3M brillo type sandpaper. LOVE that stuff. Then I used one of the Man's tack cloths (which I HIGHLY recommend using gloves with...yuck...sticky all over my fingers), and took off all the dust and oils from my fingers. After doing that, I wrapped up the top with a shopping bag...recycle..reuse...and the same for the plug and cord, then moved it to my outside painting surface (the garbage can lid). Here's the little beauty after one coat of paint.






Remarkable huh? Yeah,...I was amazed too. I thought I had uploaded a picture of the paint I used,...you can sort of see it in the above picture. It's Rustoleum's hammered Silver. I love it. I also have the bronze color but I have dark wood end tables so I figured they would blend too much.

So here's the final product. I'm not in love with the shade...*sigh*. Got those for a STEAL from the local thrift store...$6 for TWO...yeah baby! But they had ugly vinyl "princess" fabric around the outside of the shades...yucko. So I pulled off the fabric, and used it as a template for some muslin. Then I added the jute ribbon to the bottom and top. Now I see the shade is a TAD too small for the lamp. Oh well...I will find something that will work.



So...let's break it down.

2 lamps- $35
spray paint -free (already had it)
shades - $6
___________

Total - $41 for TWO lamps...SQUEEEAALL!

So happy. Now...gotta  find some rope for those other lamps...(insert evil laugh here) ;)



Fancy This



4 comments:

  1. Wow, what an inspirational project. Your lamp looks so good. Amazing job and thank you so much for using Rust-Oleum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great!!

    i would love for you to link this post up to flashback fridays going on now over at love notes.
    go check it out!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely!!! So excited to see you share a project at Fancy This Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you got one...leave it...:)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.